Prompt: Write about an experience when someone assumed something about you because of a stereotype. What was the situation, and what did you do?
One experience I had with stereotypes was when someone assumed that because I am interested in art, I would not be good at science or math. They seemed surprised when I said that biology and chemistry are some of my favorite subjects. Instead of getting upset, I explained that being creative and being interested in science are not opposites. I think art has actually helped me understand science because both require observation, curiosity, and attention to detail.
Someone made an assumption about me based on the stereotype that people who enjoy art are not interested in or good at science. I challenged that assumption by explaining how my interests in art and science can work together.
This experience reminded me that stereotypes can make people see only one part of who someone is. I learned that I should not let other people’s assumptions define me, and that having different interests can be a strength rather than a contradiction.
Comments
Post a Comment